On November 14th Marin County’s Board of Supervisors passed an ordinance that allows up to four (4) dispensary licenses for medical cannabis businesses. Unlike the previous dispensary ordinance passed in December 2015, this one requires that there be no store front and all sales be done via delivery. A fee schedule and application submittal requirements will be brought to the Board on December 5th and they expect the application process to open in January 2018.
The first thing to think about, if you are thinking of applying, is where. First, it is important to remember that this ordinance only affects the unincorporated areas of Marin as incorporated towns and cities regulate their own territories. Second, Marin has upheld their right to impose stricter regulations than that of the state and placed a 600 foot radius boundary from schools, daycares, youth center, and playgrounds. As described in the ordinance, playgrounds can be a play structure or just a field with a baseball diamond.
Once you have found a space you like and that fits the requirements, the application process is in 4 phases.
- Phase 1 – Prescreening by the Community Development Agency (CDA) and background checks
- Phase 2 – Applicant Review
- Your application will be rated on a 100 point scale. To pass you must get 80 points or above
- If there are more than 4 applicants with scores greater than 80 points your application will go into a lottery system to see who moves on to the next step.
- Phase 3 – Pre-Submittal meeting for all applicants selected in lotters
- The CDA will do a site analysis and plan review
- Phase 4 – Site Review with the CDA at your location
If you have passed all stages you will then take part in a public Board of Supervisors meeting where they will grant or deny your license.
Marin County wants applicants who have a thought out business plan, know how they will operate and have great interaction and understanding of the public/neighborhoods they will be a part of. The process can be difficult and challenging and if you need assistance we at Scot Candell & Associates are here to help.